Ministry of Health's Draft Therapeutics Bill
The Ministry of Health have released a draft Therapeutics Bill for consultation.
The Bill would replace the Medicines Act and makes several changes including:
- Medical devices will now be regulated
- There will be more scope for cell and tissue based products to come on to the market
- A new regulatory body will be established with a range of different powers, including penalising people who do not comply with the Act
- The Act will make it easier for e-prescribing to occur.
Please note the Bill at this stage still allows for Direct to Consumer Advertising (DTCA) to occur. Read the College’s position statement on DTCA.
The College would appreciate your feedback on the proposed changes to the Bill and the issue of DTCA, and/or any other part of the Bill. Please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 22 February.
Ministry of Health focus meetings and information forum
The Ministry of Health is holding an information forum on Monday 11 February in Wellington. Please register your interest by the 22 January.
The Ministry of Health is holding focus meetings on the Therapeutics Bill. The proposed dates are:
- Māori sector, Monday 18 March AM in Auckland
- Medicines sector, Monday 18 March PM in Auckland
- Medical Devices sector, Tuesday 19 March AM in Auckland
- Cell and Tissues sector, Tuesday 19 March PM in Auckland
- Research sector, Wednesday 20 March AM in Auckland and Thursday 21 March AM in Dunedin
- Pasifika Fono sector, Wednesday 20 March PM in Auckland
- General (Consumer) sector, Thursday 21 March PM in Wellington
- Pharmacy sector, Friday 22 March AM in Wellington
- Health Practitioners, Friday 22 March PM in Wellington
Please register your interest for the above events by 6 February.