2018/19 General Practice Education Programme applications
We are glad that you have chosen to apply to be a vocationally-registered GP. A great specialty that offers collegiality and a wide range of life choices, empowerment and flexibility in your career. Good luck!
Please note: Applications for our General Practice Education Programme 2018/19 intake have now closed. Applications for the 2019/20 intake will open early 2019.
Applications will only be accepted from:
- applicants who have met the entry requirements stated here.
- those either
- holding (or eligible to hold) General Registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand, or
- able to provide written assurance from the Medical Council of New Zealand that general scope registration will be approved by point of entry into the programme ( this is, when you start GPEP Year 1 in December of the year you applied for)
- those holding a Certificate of Professional Status with no conditions on your scope of practice from the Medical Council of New Zealand all certificates should come directly to the College office from the regulatory body and not via the applicant)
- applicants who have paid their application fee before the application closing date
Preference will be given to applicants who meet the Health Workforce New Zealand criteria
- New Zealand citizens or permanent residents with no restrictions
- HWNZ will consider exceptions on a case-by-case basis, prerequisites can be found here. The College cannot guarantee that you will be granted an exception for the funding. If you would like to discuss this, please contact the GPEP Applications team: email@example.com
Please also make sure you have read through the application requirements to make sure you have everything you need for your application. Read the application requirements here
A few need to knows:
The 2018 application fee is $400.00 inclusive of GST. The application fee is non-refundable. Before you start your application, please ensure you have either read through this document it will explain the payment process which you will need to complete at the end of the application.
The form has ten sections and will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. We recommend using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge to fill in your form if possible.
Please avoid filling out the form on your phone and using Safari as we have experienced difficulties when testing using this option. If you experience any difficulties filling in the form please let us know as soon as possible.
If you do forget your password, or get locked out at any stage, please contact: GPEPApplications@rnzcgp.org.nz
Please ensure you have the following ready to complete your application:
- a passport sized photo preferably in .jpg format
- a copy of your current annual practicing certificate (APC) if you do not have a current APC then your last APC will suffice
- a copy of your current ACLS if you do not have a current ACLS, or it is expiring, you may upload the booking confirmation of your upcoming course
- a copy of your current indemnity insurance
- for New Zealand citizens, a certified copy of proof of your citizenship for example a birth certificate, a New Zealand passport or a citizenship certificate
- for those who are not New Zealand citizens, a certified copy of the photo page of your passport and a certified copy of the Visa page from your passport
- for those who hold provisional general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ), your DHB supervisor reports or MCNZ supervisor reports for the previous two years
- for those who have changed their first or last names, evidence of your legal name change
- the names and contact details of three professional referees with whom you have worked with in the past two years, including at least one from the past year if possible - referees should be senior medical staff (supervisors) with whom you have actually worked with and observed you in a clinical workplace setting on a regular basis
- a personal statement (maximum of 500 words) - this statement should identify who you are, outside of being a doctor and why you wish to undertake general practice Fellowship training, to particular experiences, skills and attitudes that you would bring to the specialty
Before you start your application please have a thorough read of our FAQs . This PDF provides useful tips and information about completing the application form. We recommend keeping it open in a separate tab in your browser to refer to.
If you have any issues or questions, please contact the team at: GPEPApplications@rnzcgp.org.nz