The College’s Quality framework is made up of two programmes – Foundation and Cornerstone.
The new Cornerstone programme is modular giving practices options and we’ve introduced accreditation levels: Bronze, Silver and Gold.
Practices will need to complete two core modules - Equity and Continuous Quality Improvement, to maintain or be awarded Cornerstone Bronze accreditation. Practices can build on this, completing further modules to reach Silver or Gold status.
Purchasing a module
The Cornerstone Equity and Continuous Quality Improvement modules are available for purchase now.
To purchase a module, please click the practice administration button below. Login details have been sent to the primary contact of each practice. If you need a reminder, please email email@example.com
Cornerstone Continuous Quality Improvement module
The Cornerstone Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) module allows practices to demonstrate their work towards improving health outcomes. The CQI module asks practices to identify an area of improvement in their work and apply a structured quality improvement model (such as a PDSA cycle) to track progress. The project must have an equity focus (i.e. working toward health equity outcomes). The practice would need to compile a final report describing the project, the progress/findings, and next steps.
Read more about the CQI module
Cornerstone Equity module
The Cornerstone Equity module builds upon the equity work completed in the Foundation Standard and provides the next set of steps toward delivering sustainable health equity outcomes. The Equity module focuses on four areas where pro-equity elements need to be developed in order to achieve equitable health outcomes across general practices:
- Practice team: Includes indicators/criteria related to health equity training, bias and cultural competency and safety training, ensuring a culturally safe experiences/services for patients, etc
- Organisation and leadership: Includes indicators and criteria that will assist practices to embed health equity elements into their governance and management
- Service development and delivery: Includes indicators and criteria around community collaborations, creating inclusive and culturally safe environments, collecting and maintaining up to date quantitative and qualitative data to inform and promote health equity outcomes
- Workforce: Includes indicators and criteria to ensure systems and processes are in place to actively recruit, develop and retain practice team members who support pro-equity values
Cornerstone Teaching module
The Cornerstone Teaching module sets the minimum requirements for a teaching practice to ensure the effective and safe clinical learning environment of College GP registrars.
Accreditation of a teaching practice against these requirements ensures that:
- the practice is a supportive and safe clinical learning environment, which exposes GP trainees to a broad range of learning experiences
- supervision, training and teaching provided by staff in the practice are effective and safe for both patients and GP trainees
- learning time for a trainee registrar is protected and training expectations and outcomes are identified and delivered to fully enable their participation in suitable activities.
The Teaching module is an elective module that sets out the requirements in three sections:
- Commitment to training, which includes demonstrating the practice has:
- appropriately qualified and experienced teaching staff who have relevant professional and teaching experience.
- a range of resources necessary to support teaching and learning.
- Engagement with their communities, which includes practices having:
- strong health and community networks that can support trainees to work with other health professionals in the area
- culturally competent and culturally safe practitioners and staff.
- Focus on development, which includes practices:
- committing to continuous improvement and responsiveness as a teaching practice
- engaging in reflective practice and undertaking on-going professional development.