GPEP Application Requirements
Applications for our 2018/19 cohort have now closed. Applications for the 2019/20 intake will open early 2019.
2018 Application fee: $400.00 inclusive of GST. (The application fee is non-refundable)
Applications will only be accepted from:
- Applicants who have met the entry requirements stated here.
- Those holding (or eligible to hold) General Registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand, or can provide written assurance from the Medical Council of New Zealand that general scope registration will be approved by point of entry into the programme (I.e. when you start GPEP Year 1 in December of the year you applied for).
- Before point of entry into the programme (i.e. when you start GPEP Year 1 in December of the year you applied for), you will need to have general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) that allows you to participate fully in the GPEP programme without any restrictions. This means that if you hold an international primary medical degree, and have gained registration with the MCNZ by way of their:
- Comparable Health System pathway, you must hold general registration with conditions that permit you to practise in general practice
- NZ Registration Examination (NZREX Clinical), you must have completed your two-year prevocational training period, and have full and unconditional general registration. (This means that your GPEP Year 1 will be at least your third year of practice in New Zealand)
- Alternatively you must be able to provide written assurance from the MCNZ that you will have general registration that permits unrestricted participation in GPEP before you start GPEP 1
- Applicants who have paid their application fee before the application closing date.
Preference will be given to applicants who meet the Health Workforce New Zealand criteria:
- New Zealand Citizens or Permanent Residents with no restrictions.
- HWNZ will consider exceptions on a case-by-case basis, prerequisites can be found here. The College cannot guarantee that you will be granted an exception for the funding. If you would like to discuss, please contact the GPEP Applications team: email@example.com
Please ensure you have the following ready to complete your application:
- Passport sized photo – preferably in .jpg format
- Copy of your current Annual Practicing Certificate (If you do not have a current APC – then your last APC will suffice)
- Copy of your current ACLS
- Copy of your current indemnity insurance
- Please attach a certified copy of proof of New Zealand citizenship (e.g: Birth certificate, NZ Passport, citizenship certificate)
- If you are not a New Zealand citizen, please have a certified copy of the photo page of your passport & a certified copy of your Visa page from your passport
- If you hold provisional general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ), please have ready either your DHB supervisor reports or MCNZ supervisor reports for the previous two years
- If you have changed your first or last name, please provide evidence of your legal name change
- The names and contact details of three professional referees with whom you have worked with in the past two years, including at least one from the past year if possible. Referees should be senior medical staff (supervisors) with whom you have actually worked with and observed you in a clinical workplace setting on a regular basis
- A Personal Statement (maximum of 500 words). This statement should identify who you are, outside of being a doctor and why you wish to undertake General Practice Fellowship training. You should refer to particular experiences, skills and attitudes that you would bring to the specialty.
- Please ensure that your referees are aware that you have nominated them to give a reference for you, they will be contacted by an external third party recruiter to complete the reference.
- The reference template will be sent to the email address provided by you on your application. Please make sure it is correct.
- If the recruiter cannot get in touch with your referee, they will contact you directly for another name.
- We will require three completed, satisfactory references before you are eligible to be offered a place on the programme. It is your responsibility to make sure your referees have received the template and returns it in a timely manner.
The 2018 GPEP interviews will be held in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. It will be your responsibility to organise your own travel to and from the venues. Please expect to be at your interview for at least an hour and a half.
Wellington: Bolton Hotel, 21st May – 23rd May 2018
Auckland: Mt Richmond Hotel, 25th May – 27th May 2018
Christchurch: Rydges Latimer Hotel, 30th May – 1st June 2018
An interview will only be offered on completion of your application form (including payment of your application fee).
If you have any issues or questions, please contact the team at: GPEPApplications@rnzcgp.org.nz