Apply to study general practice
Applying for GPEP
To apply for GPEP you need to:
- check you are eligible
- prepare your documentation, application answers, and pick your referees
- complete your application form by 12.00pm on Monday 8 April 2024.
- and pay the application fee.
Before you begin your application form, it’s a good idea to read the step-by-step admission process and documentation and reference requirements.
If you are a doctor who trained in general practice overseas, you should apply first through our Prior Specialist Training programme.
Key admission dates
- Applications are open until 12.00pm on Monday 8 April 2024.
- Formal offer letters for successful applicants will be sent in June and July 2024.
- GPEP year 1 will start in January 2025.
Before you begin your application, please check that you meet all the eligibility criteria.
For example, to apply for GPEP you must have finished two postgraduate years in rotating hospital runs, and 12 months of this must have been in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Non-New Zealand citizens or permanent resident
If you're not a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for the Health Workforce Directorate of Te Whatu Ora Health New Zealand funding. Read more about this process.