This statement outlines how The Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (“we”, “us” or “our”) collects, uses, stores and discloses personal information. It also informs you of your rights in relation to your personal information that we manage.
For further information or assistance please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information when you interact with us. For example, when applying for membership, Fellowship or one of our programmes, as part of your College membership, and when completing forms, accessing or registering on our website.
We collect personal information from you, including:
- name, address, contact details and date of birth
- gender identity and ethnicity
- your membership class, membership details and any special status
- current practice, region you live in and faculty or chapter memberships
- services accessed, provided or offered to you
- training and education records and information about your qualifications, work history and experience
- details of events you have attended or registered for, including dietary or other specific requirements
- medical registration and MCNZ number
- Information about your use of our website (explained further below).
How we use your personal information
We collect your personal information in order to:
- contact you about a query, request or application
- assess your eligibility for membership, an education programme or Fellowship
- provide membership services and benefits and maintain membership records
- invoice your membership fees
- provide continuing medical education
- deliver our education programmes including training, assessment and examinations
- provide our quality programmes (Foundation and Cornerstone)
- assess applications for grants or awards
- recruit staff and contractors
- send you publications and invite you to events
- undertake matters related to governance and collegiality such as operating faculties and chapters
- help us improve our services.
To enable us to achieve the purposes outlined above, we may need to share your information with contractors and service providers we engage or with regulatory bodies such as providing information about your participation in continuing medical education to the Medical Council of New Zealand.
How we use your personal information will depend on your circumstances. For example, if you contact us with an inquiry we collect your contact details and details of the inquiry in order to respond to you. If you apply for the General Practitioner Education Programme, we collect information from you in order to assess your eligibility for the programme and undertake our intake processes. If your application is successful, the information you have provided can also be used to determine practice placements, seminar groups and faculty and chapter membership, and establish your membership with the College, and for employment purposes if College-employed for GPEP year 1.
Providing most information is required for us to provide services or to assist you effectively. If you choose not to provide your information, it may affect your ability to be a member of the College or take part in our education programmes.
How we secure your personal information
We keep your information safe by:
- storing it electronically in secure systems, securely at our office or archived in secure offsite facilities
- providing training to staff and having internal policies and procedures in place
- only allowing staff who have permission to access your personal information to do so.
We collect the following information about your use of our website (though please note we make no efforts to associate this with your identity):
- Your IP address
- The search terms you used
- The pages you accessed on our website and the links you clicked on
- The date and time you visited
- Operating system (such as Windows 10)
- The type of web browser you use (such as Google Chrome)
- to improve and assess the services we provide and to monitor and improve the functionality of the website.
Your rights for access and correction
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. If you’d like to ask for a copy of your information, or to have it corrected, please contact us at email@example.com or
The Privacy Officer
The Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners
PO Box 10440
If you are a member of the College, you can log in to the member dashboard through our website. The dashboard includes your contact details, College membership invoices and receipts and CPD records held by the College. You can update your contact details and manage your preference for receiving College updates and publications here at any time.
We may update this privacy statement from time to time, for example to reflect changes to the Privacy Act. This statement was last updated in October 2022.