To apply for GPEP you must:
- have completed two postgraduate years experience in rotating hospital runs (a total of 8 runs) by the time you start your first year of GPEP. You may complete your runs the year you apply, but they do not need to be completed before you to start your application. View more information about run requirements.
- have completed 12 months of the two postgraduate years experience in New Zealand
- hold, or be eligible to hold General Registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) that allows you to participate fully in the GPEP programme without any restrictions
- have written assurance from the MCNZ that you will have general registration that permits unrestricted participation in GPEP before you start GPEP year 1.
- provide a Certificate of Professional Status (COPS) from the Medical Council of New Zealand no less than three months prior to the programme start date. This certificate is to confirm that you in good professional standing
If you're not a New Zealand Citizen or permanent resident
In addition, if you're not a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for the Health Workforce Directorate of the Ministry of Health, New Zealand funding. To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- Commitment to living in New Zealand including an intention to obtain a permanent resident visa.
- A willingness to work in rural /high needs practices or hard to place regions.
The College will submit an application on your behalf to the Health Workforce Directorate of the Ministry of Health, New Zealand to determine whether you meet the eligibility criteria. For further information on this process please read our FAQ’s.
If you're unsure whether you meet the criteria outlined above, please email GPEPapplications@rnzcgp.org.nz