You may be aware that last year, the College (in consultation with a wide range of stakeholders) reviewed its quality programme in response to feedback received from practices.
In December 2018, the College Board agreed to a new, modular approach for both the Foundation Standard and CORNERSTONE® Standard, and asked the College to run a pilot of the new modules before implementing it nationally.
You can read a more detailed overview about this project and the design of the modules on our project webpage.
Where we’re up to
The College is running a pilot of all the modules to ensure they meet the needs of practices. Earlier this year, to prepare the modules for piloting, the College’s Quality team held workshops with representatives of those working in general practice.
There is a lot of interest in this project and we are pleased with the progress made so far. We currently have four draft modules being trialled by a total of 54 practices with some practices piloting more than one module.
The modules are:
• Foundation Standard
• CORNERSTONE® Teaching Practice
• CORNERSTONE® General Practice
• CORNERSTONE® Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI)
It’s great to have a range of practices trialling the new modules, as this helps ensure the final modules meet the needs of general practice teams.
National implementation – date change
On 28 June, the College announced that the launch of the new standards has been extended to 1 April 2020.
This delay is due to the high number of practices participating our pilot, the amount of valued feedback we anticipate receiving, the level of sector interest in this programme, and the College’s commitment to delivering the best possible outcome.
The College is contacting all practices and PHOs affected by this date change. This includes:
- Foundation Standard practices whose accreditation expires between 1 October 2019 and 1 April 2020. These practices will need to be recertified against the current Foundation Standard.
- CORNERSTONE® practices whose accreditation expires between 1 October 2019 and 1 April 2020. These practices will need to continue on the current CORNERSTONE® programme, completing all current annual requirements, including the onsite assessment.
Practices and PHOs effected by this change will be contacted directly.
More information and contact
The draft modules and latest information can be viewed on our project webpage.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org