The Board approved all of the project’s recommendations, which were to:
- increase the Foundation certification period to 4 years and keep the CORNERSTONE® accreditation period at 4 years;
- retire the CORNERSTONE® annual programme;
- replace the CORNERSTONE® annual programme with an online, summative mid-cycle review for the Foundation and for the CORNERSTONE® programmes;
- allow CORNERSTONE® to become a combination of mandatory and optional modules for practices to complete; and
- noted that the Primary Health Organisations would continue to be responsible for the assessment of their Foundation-only practices.
The Board also approved a six-month trial of the simplified programme in a range of practices to test whether the changes have made it simpler to implement and maintain Foundation and CORNERSTONE® in practices, and simpler to assess and moderate.
The trial will run from 1 April – 30 September 2019, so full implementation for all Foundation and CORNERSTONE® practices would begin from 1 October 2019.
A call for interested practices wanting to participate in the trial will be announced in the new year.