On one side of the coin is our flagship General Practice Education Programme (GPEP) that trains doctors into the specialty to become vocationally registered. On the other side we are growing our evidence base and advocacy through research, grant funding and feedback from members.

Joining the College

To join the College you must:

  • be actively engaged in New Zealand general practice or rural hospital medicine;
  • be registered to practise medicine in New Zealand; and
  • hold a current Practising Certificate from the Medical Council of New Zealand; and
  • produce a current certificate of good standing from the Medical Council of New Zealand.

View more information about the membership subscription fees.

Join Take the next step and become a Member Application form Email us for more info

Applying to join

Applying or re-joining the College is easy; make sure you have these before applying:

  1. Qualifications
  2. General practice experience
  3. Certificate of Professional Status from the Medical Council of New Zealand

Download an application form


Categories of membership

Associate in Training

New Zealand–registered doctors currently undergoing the General Practice Education Programme (GPEP) and the Division of Rural Hospital Medicine Training Programme.


Those who have passed both the GPEP clinical examination and the GPEP written examination and are finishing their postgraduate training. Members can take part in College affairs and have full voting rights.

Fellow (FRNZCGP)

Members who have completed their Fellowship Assessment and are vocationally registered as a general practitioner with the Medical Council of New Zealand.

Associate in Practice

New Zealand–registered doctors who are engaged in general practice, rural hospital medicine or other aligned scopes of practice; they must comply with Medical Council of New Zealand requirements. They may take part in College affairs but have no voting rights.  

Did you complete your GP training overseas?

We have arrangements with international medical colleges such as The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and The Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine. If you hold Fellowship with one of these colleges or another overseas institution, you may be eligible to complete a Prior Training Pathway to gain Fellowship with The Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners.

Visit our page for internationally trained GPs to find out how to have your training recognised when you move to New Zealand.