The College funds research and education that benefits general practice, rural general practice, and rural hospital medicine.
People don’t need to be doctors or members of the College to apply and there are three funding rounds a year.
Grants are typically $5,000 - $20,000 for individuals but up to $40,000 can be awarded. Our preference is to award to individuals, but organisations will also be considered.
Up to 15 grant applications will be considered by the Research and Education Committee (REC) at each meeting on a first-come, first-served basis. Any applications received after the first 15 will be held over to the next meeting.
See which research we have funded.
What we will fund
We're looking for applications that reflect the five key areas of Te Rautaki the College’s Statement of Strategic intent.
- supporting our members
- becoming a contemporary and sustainable organisation
- improving health equity in New Zealand
- education excellence
- quality general practices.
In the past we have funded research on diabetes management and primary care, rural placements of health professionals, a clinician survey of STI management methods, the impact of Health and Disability Commission complaints and investigations and bullying in the GP workforce.
Detail around funding can be found in Guidelines for applicants to the Research and Education Committee.
Apply for funding
Please apply for funding by filling in our online application form
Any questions you have can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
2022 application cut off dates
- 2 February 2022: Applications open
- 16 March 2022: Applications close
- 4 May 2022: Applicants notified of the outcome
- 11 May 2022: Applications open
- 22 June 2022: Applications close
- 10 August 2022: Applicants notified of the outcome
Each successful applicant will be required to provide an abstract to the Committee, which the College can use to promote your research. We also encourage successfully funded researchers to submit their papers to the Journal of Primary Health Care or submit an abstract to the annual College conference
- 3 August 2022: Applications open
- 14 September 2022: Applications close
- 2 November 2022: Applicants notified of the outcome